Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Buttermilk Pancakes

So, if you haven't noticed, we really like to make things from scratch around here.  It's not because I'm against "prepared foods."  It's just that I think from scratch stuff tends to taste better, and I just like to cook.  Knowing what goes into your food is an added bonus.  This morning, I made buttermilk pancakes for breakfast.  They really aren't that much harder to make than from a mix, so why not?  I usually double the recipe and freeze the leftovers.  I just throw them in the toaster for the picky two year old who would live on pancakes and milk if I let him.  And of course we serve it with homemade buttermilk caramel syrup.


Here's the recipe (adapted from Better Homes and Garden's recipe book):



Buttermilk Pancakes
1 c. flour

1 tbsp sugar

1 tsp baking powder

¼ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

1 beaten egg

1 c. buttermilk

2 tbsp vegetable oil



I like to mix my batter in the blender.  I put the eggs, buttermilk, and oil in first, then put the dry ingredients on top.  I blend it for about a minute.  Cook over medium heat in a heavy skillet, turning to the second side when the pancakes are bubbly and dry on the edges.


Variations:  You may substitute 1 c. of milk for the buttermilk, but increase the baking powder to 2 tsp and omit the baking soda.  You can also add some cinnamon chips to the batter after it's blended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment