Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Barb's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies


Several years ago, one of my co-workers and good friends, Barbara, would bring the most amazing chocolate chip cookies to work to share.  They were soft and rich, and I could easily eat half a dozen in one sitting.  Give them a try.  You won't be disappointed. 

One amazing tip I've learned is to cream your eggs and butter together to create beautiful, creamy emulsion.  See the picture below.  It takes a while, so don't panic.  The cookies bake differently when I do this and when I don't. This picture shows the whip attachment for the mixure, but I prefer to use the paddle attachment.


After the eggs and butter cream together, I add the sugars, cream, and extracts and mix, then switch to my dough hook.  Next, I add the dry ingredients that I mixed together in a separate bowl, and lastly, the chocolate chips, about 1 1/2 bags.  Guittard Milk Chocolate Chips are my favorite.  I'd definitely use a high quality chocolate chip in these.  Milk and semi-sweet both work great.  Use your favorite!


Next, drop them onto a cookie sheet.  Don't flatten them.  I recently started using silicone baking liners, and I love them!  Another tip is don't bake too many at a time.  I only cook a dozen at a time.


Bake at 350 degrees for 9-12 minutes.  Do NOT over bake them.  They will get hard and crunchy if you do.  The best way to tell is by looking at the bottom of the cookie.  They should be on the very light end of turning brown.  I like to leave them on the cookie sheet for an extra minute or two before I transfer them to the cooling rack.  They cook just a tiny bit more and are a little easier to handle after they have cooled for a moment.



They are the best when served with a tall glass of milk!  After they have completely cooled, store them in an air tight container so they will stay fresh and soft.


Barb’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies


From the Kitchen of Lynnae Hymas

Recipe adapted from Barbara Leonhardt



Ingredients


  •          1 ½ c. butter
  •          3 eggs
  •          2 c. brown sugar
  •          1 ½ c. sugar
  •          1 ½ tsp vanilla
  •          1 ½ tsp coconut extract (don't leave this out!)
  •          ¾ c. cream


Dry Ingredients



  •          4 ½ c oatmeal flour (17 ounces)
  •          4 ½ c. flour (22.15 ounces)
  •          1 ½ tsp baking powder
  •          1 ½ tsp baking soda
  •          ¾ tsp salt
  •          3 c. chocolate chips


Directions



Cream the eggs and butter together until emulsified.  Preheat oven to 350° F.  Cream the sugar.  Mix in extracts and cream.  Blend oats in blender until flour.  Combine dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and then add to sugar, butter, and egg mixture.  Combine together, then add chocolate chips.  Drop balls onto a cookie sheet and then bake for 9-12 minutes.  Allow to cool on the pan for a minute or two. Remove from pan and allow to cool on cooling rack.  Makes approx. 6 dozen cookies.


PDF File Copy

No comments:

Post a Comment