Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Tuesday Tip-Bread Flour


My bread and roll making took a turn for the better a few years ago when I discovered King Arthur Bread Flour.  My breads when from alright, to a highlight at the meal.  Bread flour has a higher protein content than all-purpose flour.  It provides more structure for breads than all-purpose flour.

I wanted to conduct an experiment to see if the brand of bread flour I used mattered.  I used Pillsbury Best, King Arthur, Gold Medal, and White Lily (which I had a hard time finding in a store but ordered from Jet.com for $2.78 for 5 lbs, delivered).

I then gave my family a blind taste test of Our Best Bites World's Best Dinner Rolls, to see which one they preferred. (I cut the recipe in half and started with 21.5 ounces of flour).  I weighed the flour for each different brand.  The King Arthur and Gold Medal batches both needed 4 extra tablespoons of flour (approx. 1.6 ounces).  White Lily took 2 extra tablespoons (approx. 0.8 ounces), and Pillsbury worked great with the amount the recipe calls for.  Turns out, they were all pretty similar in taste and texture, except for the Pillsbury brand.  It had an aftertaste we didn't like.  As for the other three, we had a very slight preference for King Arthur and While Lily over Gold Medal.  My rank list went as follows, but the top three were really almost a tie:

1.  King Arthur
2. White Lily
3. Gold Medal
4. Pillsbury Best


Going forward, I think we'll be switching to White Lily because I can get it delivered to my door for almost half the price.

(Note:  These are completely my own opinions.  I did not receive any compensation from any of the brands or stores mentioned in the this post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment