Pages

Friday, August 21, 2015

Greek Yogurt

I love Greek yogurt. Not too long ago, I tried this amazing Chobani Flip Greek yogurt cup and swore I could never go back to normal yogurt. But, the treat is expensive, and my kids love it as much as I do, so, we made our own version.


First, pour a gallon of whole milk into a heavy pot.  The way the milk is processed can affect the outcome of the yogurt.  I used to use Kroger milk, and then all of the sudden my yogurt started coming out with a funny texture.  I finally switched to slightly more expensive brand of milk and the yogurt came out great again.

I use my enameled Dutch oven. The heavier the pot, the less scalding of milk you will get. Then, heat the milk to 185 degrees F over medium to medium high heat. Once you reach that temperature, cool the mixture back down to about a 120 degrees F.


When the milk temperature drops below 130, I like to add my sugars and flavorings because they help to further cool the milk. Flavorings and sugars are completely optional, but I will give you my favorites. I use 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons of coconut extract, and 1 cup of sugar. If you prefer it plain, leave these out.

Next, you’ll add your yogurt starter. This is usually cold and can cool the batch below 120 degrees. Don’t panic. I’ve never had a problem as long as it’s around that temperature. You will get your starter from an existing batch of yogurt. It does NOT need to be Greek. You can start with some plain yogurt purchased at the store. Not all yogurts are created equal, so stick with the higher quality brands. I prefer to use four Yoplait Vanilla single serving cups. I like the Yoplait start best of all the kinds I’ve tried. (After you have established a batch, you can use a start from the previous batch you made, saving money. I fill up a pint sized jar with the yogurt before processing to use for a new batch in lieu of the containers of yogurt. However, it seems to turn out creamiest using a fresh start from the store).

At this point, I fill the bottom of a medium sized cooler with the hottest water I can get from my sink, which is around that magic 120 degree number. Be careful not to fill it too high. You want to be able to put your jars of yogurt in without covering the lids with water.

Next, fill your jars with the yogurt. I found the easiest way to do this is with a ladle and a large mouth funnel. I also like to strain the yogurt through a fine mesh strainer to get any milk skim out, but that is an optional step. 



Finally, put the lids on the jars and put them in the warmed up cooler to incubate for 3-6 hours. The less time, the less sour the taste will be. I have found 4 hours to be ideal for us. Refrigerate overnight and you have yogurt.


Now the fun part, turning it into Greek. Line your colander with the cloth and set them inside a larger bowl. Then, empty 2-3 quart jars (depending on how much room you have) of the yogurt into the cloth to allow about the whey to drain off, stirring occasionally. Drain off about 40%-50% of the original volume until you have the creamy consistency you dream of. The lower bowl will be full of whey, which I currently just dispose of. Return the yogurt to a jar and keep refrigerated. Repeat with the remaining jars of yogurt, reserving a pint sized jar if you are planning on using it for the start for your next batch.












Greek Yogurt
From the Kitchen of Lynnae Hymas

 Supplies

·          Cooler
·          Large heavy pot
·          5 quart jars and 1 pint jar and lids
·          Small, fine meshed strainer
·          Large mouth funnel
·          Ladle
·          Thermometer
·          Colander
·          Bowl
·          Tightly woven cheese cloth or similar cloth

Ingredients

·         1 gallon milk
·         4 small containers Yoplait vanilla yogurt
·         1 c. granulated sugar
·         1 tsp vanilla extract
·         2 tsp coconut extract

Directions

Heat the milk in a heavy sauce pan to 185 degrees.  Cool to 120 degrees.  Add sugar, extracts, and Yoplait yogurt.  Using the ladle, strain the yogurt into the quart jars through the fine mesh strainer, using the large mouth funnel.  You can fill a pint jar to use as a start for your next batch of yogurt instead of the Yoplait,  Fill the bottom of a large ice chest with 120 degree water.   Incubate the yogurt for 4 hours.  Refrigerate overnight. 

Using a colander lined with a cloth and resting on another bowl, strain off about 40% to 50% of the whey and return the yogurt to a quart jar.

PDF copy

No comments:

Post a Comment